& Elizabeth (Gorr) Young
Peter Young was
born October 3, 1832 in Prussia, Germany and in 1854 immigrated
to America to avoid the mandatory draft in Germany at that time
in. He arrived on a sailing ship which had departed from Hamburg,
Germany. Stories passed down through the family say that the trip
took three weeks and that they sighted a whale during that time.
The passengers were only allowed to bring a chest of linen with
While crossing the
Atlantic Peter met a young girl, Elizabeth A. Gorr who was
traveling with her parents John and Martha Christine (Isaac)
Gorr, and at least two brothers, Henry and Adam Gorr and two
sisters, Katherine and Mary Gorr. There may have been more, but
that has not yet been positively determined. It has been said
that an older brother George remained in Germany to look after a
large amount of property that the family owned there. It is
uncertain which port they entered, but it was probably New York.
here has been first documented through the 1860 Federal Census
for Berlin Twp, Ashland P.O., Wayne County, Penn. The census
shows that they had two children, Adam age 2 and Mary age 2 mo.
Peter's occupation was listed as a bark peeler which indicates
that he worked in either an acid factory or a tannery. Peter's
personal property was valued at $100.
In the 13 July
1870 Federal Census they are still located in Berlin Twp, Wayne
Co, PA, but under the P.O. of Honesdale. By this time there are
six children, Adam is 13, Mary is 11, George is 9, Eliza is 7,
John is 4 & Peter is 1. Peter's occupation is listed as a
laborer. It shows that he owns real estate valued at $500, but no
personal property is listed. It also states that he was a U.S.
Citizen, which tells us that he had been naturalized. The deed to
the property can be located in the Office of the Register of
Deeds in the Wayne County Courthouse at Honesdale in Deed Bk 39
pgs 472-473. It states that he bought the land from Christopher
Hiller and his wife for the sum of $335 on Nov 5, 1869.
Records for the
sale of the property have not been yet located, but sometime
between 13 July 1870, the date on the 1870 census and 17 June
1871 Peter moved his family to Fremont Twp, Sullivan Co. NY where
their 7th child, Katherine was born on the latter date.
From records that
have been found they are believed to have resided in Fremont
Center when they first arrived in Sullivan County, later moving
to the Acidalia area very close to the Delaware County line.
Peter and Elizabeth can be found in a Sullivan Co. census for 1
June 1875 and again in the 29 June 1880 Federal Census, in the
Town of Fremont, Dist. 1. Three of their children were married by
this time and can be found with their spouses in another sec-
tion of the same census.
Elizabeth purchased land in the area and there are several deeds
in the Registry of Deeds pertaining to this property. The first
deed has not been located, but on the 18th of Dec 1879 Peter and
Elizabeth sold the property to Adam and Katherine Metzger for the
sum of $700.00. On 20 Dec 1879 Adam and Katherine sold the
property back to Elizabeth for the same amount. On 31 Dec 1881
the property was sold by the sheriff at an auction in Monticello
to a James I. Curtis to satisfy a civil suit which had been
brought against Peter by the Weed Sewing Machine Co. On 12 July
1883 it was again sold to John Klein. On 5 May 1888 the property
was sold back to Elizabeth by John Klein and also on that date we
can find a mortgage between Elizabeth and John F. Anderson which
secures part of the purchase money.
Peter died on Mar
25, 1892, but where he died is unknown and a death record has not
yet been located. A notation was made in the 31 Mar 1892,
Vol.XIX, No. 47 issue of the "Hancock Herald" that the
funeral of Peter Young Sr. had taken place the day before. He was
buried in the Basket Cemetery about two miles from Long Eddy, NY.
There is a large stone on his grave and it is in extremely good
condition considering the length of time that it has been there
and the fact that the cemetery is very overgrown. The cemetery is
on a hill- side and the back of it is a natural habitat for
rattlers. Few people venture into it except in early Spring or
death Elizabeth remained in Acidalia. She still had four children
who were not married, although Maggie was married that July. The
boys were avid fishermen, hunters and trappers. They also dug
ginseng and sold it for tobacco. The children did not have an
easy childhood and the boys all went out to work at very young
ages. Most of the older girls were married when they were
extremely young. Kate was only 13. It has been said that Peter
was a very harsh man, very strict with his wife and children
& had the temper of a true German.
Elizabeth was a
very large woman, but quite gentle in nature. She acted as a
midwife and helped bring many of her own grandchildren into the
world. After Peter's death, she remained on the farm, but on 25
May 1895 she sold the farm to her son-in-law, Anthony McAdams
subject to the mortgage given to Elizabeth by John F. Anderson in
1888 and with the condition that she be allowed to make her home
in the dwelling upon the premises during her lifetime. It also
states that she would forever warrant the title.
Elizabeth did not
spend her remaining years on the farm as she thought she would.
On 22 Feb 1896 in the Town of Fremont she married a widower,
Philip Gross and moved with him to No. Branch in Callicoon Twp.
Philip died Sept. 14, 1904 and is buried in the North Branch
Cemetery. After Philip's death Elizabeth moved around spending a
few months with each of her children and their families. It was
while visiting her daughters, Maggie and Minnie who lived just
outside South Kortright, Delaware Co. NY that Elizabeth died on 7
April 1907. It was Easter Sunday and she had walked into the
village, about the distance of a little more than a mile to visit
her son George, his wife Lydia and their seven daughters. She
died at George's home during her visit. A prayer service was held
there and then her body was taken by train to Sullivan Co.
accompanied by George and Lydia where she was buried in the
Basket Cemetery near her first husband, Peter.
& Lydia (Morse) Young
George was born
May 8, 1862 at Beech Pond, Berlin Twp, Wayne Co PA. He was about
10 or 11 years old when his family moved to Sullivan Co, NY. He
left home in his late teens and went to Roxbury Twp, in Delaware
Co. where it is believed he worked as a carpenter. He met Lydia
Jane Morse, daughter of Erastus and Louisa (Sweet) Morse. They
were blessed with eight daughters: Irena, Ruth, Carrie, Lena,
Julia, Edna, Inda and Elizabeth.
After residing in
Roxbury for a time George took his wife and three oldest
daughters and moved to Fernwood, FremontTwp, Sullivan Co. where
he worked for a time in the Acid Factories there. While living in
Fernwood that they experienced both joy and tragedy. On April 7,
1893 their fifth daughter was born; twenty days later their
fourth daughter, Lena, who was two years old wandered out of the
house unobserved and fell into the watering trough for the
horses. No one really knows how she was able to slip out without
being noticed and everyone blamed themselves for not watching her
more closely. Between the time of Lena's death and the birth of
their seventh daughter, Edna they moved to Methol in Hancock Twp,
Delaware Co. where George worked as an apprentice to a blacksmith
so he might learn the trade. Before the birth of their eighth
daughter, Inda they moved again; this time to a small village
called Almedia, now known as South Kortright. It is located
partly in Kortright Twp and partly in Stamford Twp. Their
daughter Elizabeth was also born there.
worked as a blacksmith on the Andrews Estate and they had living
quarters over the shop. Four years later on April 22, 1901 George
purchased a piece of land in the village across the road from the
South Kortright Inn, then owned by James McLean. He purchased the
land for the sum of $80.00 from Stephen and Kate Hait. He
intended to build his own blacksmith shop with living quarters
for his family above it. Mr. McLean did not like the idea of
having a blacksmith shop directly across the street from his
establishment so he purchased the land from George for the sum of
$250.00, a handsome profit at that time. This transaction took
place Oct. 25, 1901. About 5 years later George purchased
property from Milton Beasmer which included a house and a barn.
George made the barn into a blacksmith shop and put an addition
on the back where he repaired wagons and wagon wheels and sawed
his own trees into lumber. One story that has been passed down
tells that he invented a wagon wheel brake for which he obtained
a patent, but the patent was somehow stolen and about the same
time the "horseless carriages" came into being and
George only made about $300 on his invention.
George was held in
high esteem in the village for his honesty in dealings with his
customers. In his younger days he shod as many as 17 horses in
one day. Aside from shoeing horses and repairing wagons he was
adept in fashioning iron into beauty, having made the very
attractive wrought iron gates on the McLean and Andrews Estates
and on the McLean Bridge at the entrance to the village. He also
made the iron signs which at one time hung in front of the
library and the South Kortright Inn.
On a visit to a
Mr. Johnson who resided in a house near Valley View Cemetery at
the foot of Roses Brook he told me that he had just removed the
metal screen door that George had made for him many years ago and
had carried on his his back from the village to Mr. Johnson's
home which is at least a a mile, maybe more. George was known to
be a man of great strength. George retired from his trade because
of the declining need. He returned to carpentry and remained
active even during the last few years of his life.
His life ended on
October 13, 1943 while he was preparing his winters supply of
wood with his friend, Delbert Chichester. He suffered a stroke
and was carried home where he lingered until a short time after
his daughters arrival. It has been said that it took several men
to lift the log that George was carrying on his back at the time
of his stroke. This gives an idea of the strength this one man
had at the age of 81!
Services were held
in his home and he was laid to rest near the village where he had
found so much enjoyment and friends. After George's death Lydia
moved in with her daughter, Ruth and with the aid of her
son-in-law, Burr Cole sold their home on Mar 27, 1945 to Cordon
D. Dibble. Until that time the house remained vacant. The house
still stands today as does the blacksmith shop. Also standing is
the blacksmith shop on the Andrews Estate where they first lived.
It has since been remodeled into a private home.
Daughters of George & Lydia Youngc.1905
side-top to bottom-Ruth (18 yr), Julia (12 yr), Inda (7yr)--right
side-top to bottom-Irena (19 yr),
Edna (9 yr), Elizabeth (4 yr)
Ruth, Julia, Elizabeth, Edna, Irena & Carrie
and in front
Lydia (Morse) Young on her 80th birthday, May 6, 1946
Young in front of his blacksmith shop
(Morse) Young, taken c. 1949
Last Updated: 02/04/2008 05:31:56 PM